The office manager position is responsible for overall front office activities, including the reception area, processing and distributing mail, managing large purchasing requests and managing the facility. Also responsible for directing and coordinating office services and related activities, including developing and supervising programs for the maximum utilization of services and equipment. Responsible for arranging office moves and providing arrangements for and coordinating office meetings.
The office manager is also responsible for providing excellent customer service, to include internal, constituency, vendors, and conference-centric customer base (especially in and around being the first point of contact for conference registration). Provides support pre-during and post conference-centric production, coordinates the conference related Change Maker’s Fair and manages the Bioneers online store.
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Essential Functions
– Oversee the smooth operation of the office including maintaining office equipment, phone systems, office supplies, office tidiness, equipment and managing office related vendor accounts such as custodial contract, phone and internet connections.
– Coordinating meetings, and provide supporting onboarding process for new hires, and orientation for interns and volunteers.
– Evaluate office needs for office equipment, make appropriate recommendations and select most suitable vendors, and establish accounts and negotiate contracts.
– Working knowledge of mail processes such as postage machine, FedEx and UPS.
– Manages the reception area to ensure effective telephone and mail communications both internally and externally to maintain professional image.
– Supervises and coordinates overall administrative activities for the Office Administration Department.
– Supervises the maintenance and alteration of office areas and equipment, as well as layout, arrangement and housekeeping of office facilities.
– Negotiates the purchase of office supplies and furniture, office equipment, etc., for the entire staff in accordance with company purchasing policies and budgetary restrictions.
– Supervises the maintenance of office equipment, including copier, fax machine, etc.
– Responsible for the facilities day-to-day operations (such as distributing building access keys and back-up to security access cards, etc.)
– Participates as needed in special department or company projects.
– Provide and uphold excellent customer service to both our constituency and customer base, to our vendors and contractors, and internally within the teamwork environment.
– Manage incoming calls and sales leads, and provide support in meeting conference-centric customer service and registration (Note that this role is a primary responsibility of this position).
– Identify and assess customer’s needs to achieve satisfaction or resolution promptly.
– Build sustainable relationships of trust by engaging customers through open and interactive communication.
– Provide accurate, valid and complete information by using the right and most efficient methods and tools.
– Handle complaints, provide appropriate solutions and alternative within the time limits and follow up to ensure resolution.
– Keep records of customer interactions, phone calls, process customer accounts and file documents.
– Follow company communication procedures, guidelines and policies.
– Assist conference production team with registrations and addressing customer service inquiries.
– Planning, coordinating and executing the creation of an on-site Bioneers office during the duration of the annual conference.
Change Maker’s Fair Coordinator
– Coordinate and manage exhibitor’s application and payment process.
– Manage and address incoming exhibitor’s inquiries.
– Coordinate with E2K regarding exhibitor’s set up, shipping and break down procedures.
– Create and disseminate exhibitor’s instructions information packet for set up, shipping, food permits and breakdown.
– Manage and track discount codes issued to exhibitors.
– Create the final exhibitor’s check-in document and exhibitor’s floor plan, including designated booths.
– Create and disseminate exhibitor’s package, which includes order sheet for booth, tent, number of chairs, tables, electrical access, garbage cans and recycling bins.
– Create a marketing action plan to include website updates for Change Maker’s Fair and social media marketing.
Online Store Management
– Create, implement and manage an inventory and purchasing system to track online store sales.
– Work closely with the VP of Finance and Administration and the IT/Media Administrator to effectively execute the online retail process.
– Produce monthly sales reports and create promotional packages for increasing sales.
Degree/Diploma Obtained: BA/BS degree
Program of Study: Business Administration or other
– Strong experience in office management, retail and customer service.
– Strong proficiency with PC/Mac platforms, Microsoft Office, intranet working platforms, and sales software.
– Budgeting, vendor and contract management, and event planning experience.
Years of Experience | Type of Experience
3-5 | Office management and administration
2-4 | Customer service
2-3 | Retail experience
– Design and implement office protocols that facilitate smooth office operations.
– Coordinate and design and on-site office during the annual conference.
– Assess and negotiate vendor contracts.
– Moderate, may be required to supervise office volunteers and interns. May supervise work-exchange volunteers and interns during the annual conference.
Degree of Supervision Received
Daily supervision provided by the Executive Director.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds.
Building trust: Frequently
Problem solving: Frequently
Conflict resolution: Regularly
Commitment to Bioneers Professional Standards
Excellent customer service
Professionalism and courtesy
Responsibility and accountability
Confidentiality and safety
Punctuality and attendance
Time Management and teamwork
Communication and follow-through
Role Specific Competencies
- Time Management
- Action and outcomes oriented
- Decision Making
- Communication Proficiency
- Active listening
- Organization Skills
Founded in 1990, Bioneers acts as a fertile hub of social and scientific innovators with practical and visionary solutions for the world’s most pressing environmental and social challenges. Bioneers connects people with solutions and each other to create a revolution from the heart of nature.
Bioneers illuminates the leading edges of transformational change and “the greatest people you’ve never heard of.” Our acclaimed national and local conferences are complemented by media outreach, including our award-winning radio and podcast series, The Bioneers: Revolution From the Heart of Nature. We provide a platform for communities of color, indigenous peoples and women leaders whose voices may seldom be heard elsewhere. Now in its 27th year, the Bioneers conference (c. 3,000 people annually) is a perennial wellspring of cutting-edge content and dynamic, diverse voices that supply the primary source for our public education and media outreach a focal point to build community and collaboration.
As a community of leadership, Bioneers acts as a media amplifier for many respected leaders, a hatchery for young and emerging leaders, and a connection point for engaged citizens dedicated to making a difference. As an interdisciplinary network of networks, we span the arc of the human endeavor to reconcile the interdependence of human and natural systems. Learn more at http://www.bioneers.org.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and an updated CV / resume with salary history in order to be considered. Please send applications as PDFs or Word attachments.
Please include your last name and the position title in the subject line, and send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
NO AGENCIES or CONSULTANTS or THIRD-PARTY SERVICES or INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS. No phone calls or email to the office or principals, please.
Thank you for your time and consideration! We look forward to hearing from you.
Bioneers // Collective Heritage Institute is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.