Bioneers seeks a full-time Media and Creative Associate who will co-curate and co-produce Indigeneity program media and communications under the direction of the Program Director. The purpose of this position is to create professional and polished media, increase program visibility, elevate the status of its outputs, and provide technical and administrative support to the Program Director and Program Manager.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Video and audio editing skills.
- Advanced graphic design skills.
- Familiarity with nonprofit culture and field, including leading organizations and individuals.
- An interest in environmental justice, food justice, social justice, indigenous rights or women’s leadership.
Program Media Production:
- Formalize the Indigeneity Media Content by organizing all available content in cloud storage and improve outward-facing online presence to make the program user-friendly, accessible and aesthetically pleasing.
- Creation of SRT files for all of our Indigeneity videos with an immediate focus on the newest content and ongoing focus on all future content.
- Work with Digital Media Asset Management for media archive and management for all Indigeneity content.
- All Indigeneity media content needs to be reorganized and uploaded to DropBox in both flat and pro-resolution formats for use.
- Ongoing management and organization of on-line Indigeneity content.
- Provide media filming, production and editing support for Bioneers programs, included but not limited to Youth Leadership, Everywoman’s Leadership and Restorative Food Systems, per pre-approval from Indigeneity Program Director.
Filming and Editing:
- Formalize the Indigeneity Media Content Production and editing into an on-going working system with rapid turnaround times from event production to distribution.
- Revisiting and editing archived “rough” cuts of past content including editing and adding captions to 2-3 minute shorts of our content for strategic marketing and outreach under the direction of Program Director and Manager. Short videos will focus on educational outreach of existing materials, building program awareness/visibility, highlighting the Native Youth Leadership Program, and emerging TEK and Rights of Nature work.
- Co-design the programming, lighting, sound and general production of the TEK Workshop and Indigenous Forum as it is relevant to filming and editing, under the direction of the Program Director and Manager.
- Filming of the Bioneers TEK Workshop, Indigenous Forum, Native Youth Program, and B-roll footage. Responsible for hiring an assistant in the Bay Area for the Annual Conference and renting equipment within budget.
- Regular and ongoing filming and editing of any additional scheduled Indigeneity program events when culturally appropriate, as well as filming of relevant content as it arises including: formally editing 7-8 videos from the IF 2017, TEK Workshop and creating a new highlight video, generating Indigeneity podcasts with audio editing, and generating and tracking free prior and informed consent and media releases of all indigenous adult and youth participants.
- Using a team approach to graphic design needs and cost effectiveness, co-create collateral for the program using Adobe Creative Suite Software including graphic design projects as needed, locating and organizing all Indigeneity photos, logos, and other graphics, and creating simple templates for Indigeneity e-communications using MailChimp.
- Work within the Bioneers communication, graphics, branding, and marketing guidelines.
- Increase the Indigeneity Program presence on-line through social media marketing and interfacing directly with working systems established by the Bioneers Communications, Media and Marketing Department.
- Social media sharing and marketing of our Indigeneity media content, curriculum, blogs, scholarship opportunities and programming in tandem with the Social Media contractor, and informing the Communication’s Department and Development Department.
- Co-creation of e-communications with Program Director and Manager.
- Highlight program sponsors and partners under the direction of the Program Director.
- Share administrative responsibilities with the team.
- Contact database development, organization and sharing.
- Shared production responsibilities for the Indigenous Forum and TEK Workshop leading up to the conference.
- Support role in Native arts on the grounds at the Annual Conference.
- Support role in ongoing Indigeneity Program initiatives and events as they arise.
- Help with booth assignment and vendor relationship management.
- Strategic outreach support for Indigeneity Educational Curriculum for use in classrooms led by Program Manager.
- Assist with technical support for program web development as needed, within the Bioneers website framework.
- BA/BS preferred but not required.
- 3 to 5 years of experience in communications, marketing, and print, audio and video content production.
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills.
- Basic graphic design skills and familiarity with use of Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Creative Suite Software, Illustrator, and/or InDesign.
- Basic HTML skills and familiarity with use of WordPress or other CMS and MailChimp or other email marketing platforms.
- Understanding of Google Analytics and ability to utilize reports to inform communications strategy.
- Strong working knowledge of list management and use of Salesforce or other CRM.
- Strong capacity to juggle elevated and complex levels of detail and competing priorities.
- High level of professionalism and resourcefulness, and ability to maintain momentum of projects in the midst of shifting circumstances.
- Ability to maintain flexibility and work either independently or collaboratively.
- Excellent collaborative and interpersonal skills and ability to positively represent Bioneers at local events.
This position reports to the Indigeneity Program Director with shared supervision with Senior Producer of Communications and Marketing. Program media support, outside of Indigeneity, will be maintained under a 30% capacity, and revised by the Program Director.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is a full-time position located at Bioneers HQ in the Presidio, San Francisco. This position requires occasional travel to Bioneers office in Santa Fe, NM. This position also requires evening and weekend work during the organization’s annual conference in October, and occasionally throughout the year.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift up to 20 pounds.
Founded in 1990, Bioneers acts as a fertile hub of social and scientific innovators with practical and visionary solutions for the world’s most pressing environmental and social challenges. Bioneers connects people with solutions and each other to create a revolution from the heart of nature.
Bioneers illuminates the leading edges of transformational change and “the greatest people you’ve never heard of.” Our acclaimed national and local conferences are complemented by media outreach, including our award-winning radio and podcast series, The Bioneers: Revolution From the Heart of Nature. We provide a platform for communities of color, indigenous peoples and women leaders whose voices may seldom be heard elsewhere. Now in its 27th year, the Bioneers conference (c. 3,000 people annually) is a perennial wellspring of cutting-edge content and dynamic, diverse voices that supply the primary source for our public education and media outreach a focal point to build community and collaboration.
As a community of leadership, Bioneers acts as a media amplifier for many respected leaders, a hatchery for young and emerging leaders, and a connection point for engaged citizens dedicated to making a difference. As an interdisciplinary network of networks, we span the arc of the human endeavor to reconcile the interdependence of human and natural systems. Learn more at http://www.bioneers.org. To learn more about Bioneers’ Indigeneity Program, please visit: http://www.bioneers.org/indigeneity-program/
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and an updated CV / resume with salary history in order to be considered. Please send applications as PDFs or Word attachments. Please include your last name and the position title in the subject line, and send applications to: Human Resources Manager, at email@example.com. Please include media portfolio, website or other link(s) to preview media work.
NO AGENCIES or CONSULTANTS or THIRD-PARTY SERVICES or INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS.
No phone calls or email to the office or principal’s, please.
Thank you for your time and consideration! We look forward to hearing from you.
Bioneers // Collective Heritage Institute is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.