Bioneers seeks Marketing Manager familiar with and inspired by the mission-driven culture and energy of a non-profit environment, and able to think creatively about new approaches to engage and expand our audience. The Bioneers Marketing Manager position will be responsible for planning, development and implementation of all of Bioneers marketing strategies and marketing communications and have the ability to think out-of-the-box about engaging constituencies across diverse communities and digital platforms. The candidate will oversee development and implementation of marketing materials and services for the Bioneers Annual Conference and the organization as a whole helping to and its program areas and will bring a fundamental understanding of media (both traditional, social and new-media) in a non-profit context. This position manages the efforts of the marketing team ensuring that visibility and sponsorships of the organization and conference increase around the other functions of the Bioneers. This position will be located in the Bioneers San Francisco, CA offices.
This position will manage the marketing and sponsorship efforts of Bioneers. The position reports to the Executive Director and serves as a member of the management team. Within Bioneers, the position has primary working relationships with the Executive Director, the Chief Operating and Outreach Officer, the Communications Manager, the senior management team, Bioneers Program Directors and Event Production.
Outside Bioneers, the position coordinates, primarily, with organizations and potential audiences who can help support, collaborate, partner, promote and sponsor the Bioneers Annual conference and its output, including Bioneers Award-Winning Radio Series, for example and a growing 25-year archive of digitized media content.
This will be a hands-on, creative, problem-solving position, working to improve the support and engagement around Bioneers diverse program areas.
Marketing Management and Strategy
1. Responsible for managing the creation, implementation and measuring the success of:
• A comprehensive marketing program that will enhance Bioneers image, increase attendance and sponsorship of the Annual Conference and awareness and sponsorship of the Organization) and position within the marketplace and the general public; and,
2. Coordinate media interest in Bioneers and ensure regular contact with target media and appropriate response to media requests (especially local and national outlets).
3. Act as Bioneers representative with the sponsors, potential partners, community groups and organizations that can help to market the Bioneers brand.
4. Develop, coordinate and oversee marketing programs, including but not limited to social media, traditional media and local media outlets, technical assistance and resource materials to assist marketing and promoting the Bioneers Annual Conference (including but not limited to the Resilient Communities Network, Beaming Bioneers constituency, donors and conference attendees) in the marketing of their activities.
5. Ensure that Bioneers regularly conducts relevant market research and coordinate and oversee this activity. Monitor trends.
6. Leads projects as assigned, such as cause-related marketing and special events.
Planning and budgeting
1. Responsible for the achievement of marketing mission, goals and financial objectives. Ensure that evaluation systems are in place related to these goals and objectives and report progress to the Executive Director and Executive Team.
2. Develop short- and long-term plans and budgets for the marketing activities, monitor progress, assure adherence and evaluate performance.
3. Recommend short- and long-term Bioneers goals and objectives to the Executive Director, Chief Operating and Outreach Officer, VP of Finance and Executive Team.
4. Develop, implement and monitor systems and procedures necessary to the smooth operation of the marketing functions.
5. Keep informed of developments in the fields of marketing not-for-profit management and governance, relevant to Bioneers and use this information to help the Bioneers operate with initiative and innovation.
Bioneers Marketing Strategy
1. Work with senior staff, other staff and volunteers to:
• Develop and maintain a strategic perspective — based on marketplace and constituent needs and satisfaction — in Bioneers direction, program and services, and decision-making; and,
• Ensure the overall health and vitality of the Bioneers by helping to increase its outreach and visibility, increasing attendance of its conference and the creative and smooth functioning of its donor and constituent engagement.
2. Develop and coordinate means to seek regular input from the Bioneers’s key constituencies regarding the quality of programs and services and Bioneers relevance through strategic and tactical use of traditional, local and social media outlets.
3. Employ creative and cutting-edge uses of social media and traditional grassroots marketing to realize a quantifiable increase in attendance and engagement.
1. Oversee and manage the successful, on-time, high-quality production of marketing products.
2. Maintain a climate that attracts, retains and motivates top quality personnel, both paid and volunteer.
4. Design, support and oversee cross-functional teams throughout Bioneers.
5. Effectively enable, encourage and empower Bioneers volunteers and staff so they can take action on behalf of Bioneers by:
a) Conveying Bioneers values, vision and direction through word-of-mouth and respective and relevant digital and traditional communities;
b) Respecting and using the skills, expertise, experience and insights of people;
c) Providing direction and resources, removing barriers and helping develop people’s skills; articulating expectations and clarifying roles and relationships;
• Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of marketing activities.
• Strong creative, strategic, analytical, and personal sales skills that honor the energy and vision of Bioneers.
• Experience developing, managing and implementing social media marketing campaigns in a non-profit culture and context.
• Deep experience developing an engaging social media editorial voice across platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube and other nascent and developing social media platforms, communities and cultures.
• Demonstrated successful experience writing press releases, making presentations and negotiating with local, mid-size, national and international media.
• Experience placing and marketing audio (including terrestrial radio and Internet radio) in the non-profit sphere (experience in public radio a plus).
• Computer literacy and fluency across multiple social media platforms, word processing, database management, photo editing and image editing software, solutions and strategies and page layout software programs. Knowledge of HTML and fundamental understanding of website management a plus.
• Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams.
• Superior oral and written communications skills.
• Ability to manage multiple projects at a time.
• Out-of-town, overnight travel is required.
• Minimum of 5 years experience in marketing, communications or public relations with demonstrated success, preferably in the not-for-profit or public sector.
• Bachelors degree in journalism, marketing, public relations preferred. Graduate degree in a related field is desirable.
• Experience working with volunteers is desirable.
Bioneers is an innovative nonprofit educational organization that highlights breakthrough solutions for restoring people and planet. Founded in 1990 in Santa Fe, New Mexico by social entrepreneurs Kenny Ausubel and Nina Simons, Bioneers has acted as a fertile hub of social and scientific innovators with practical and visionary solutions for the world’s most pressing environmental and social challenges. A celebration of the genius of nature and human ingenuity, Bioneers connects people with breakthrough solutions and each other. Our acclaimed annual national and local conferences are complemented by extensive media outreach including an award-winning radio series, book series, and role in media projects such as Leonardo DiCaprio’s film The 11th Hour. Our programs further focus on Women’s Leadership, Indigenous Wisdom, Community Resilience Networks, and Leadership Development and Youth.Learn more at www.bioneers.org and www.conference.bioneers.org.
Cover Letter and CV may be pasted into the email body or attached as a PDF or Word Document, ONLY.
Please include an updated CV / resume WITH SALARY HISTORY. (Applications without salary history will not be considered)
Please INCLUDE YOUR LAST NAME + JOB TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE and send to: careers (AT) bioneers (DOT) org
We will contact applicants of interest. Thank you for your time and consideration.
NO AGENCIES or CONSULTANTS or THIRD-PARTY SERVICES or INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS. No phone calls or email to the office or principals, please.