GLBD is one of several sites of the Bioneers Network. The overarching mission of Bioneers is the advancement of holistic education pertaining to global, social, cultural and environmental issues. Bioneers identifies progressive yet nature-honoring solutions to rising challenges of instability, inequality, and unsustainable growth. It disseminates this knowledge via independent media, events, and community action networks.
In Detroit and Southeast Michigan, GLBD supports the national mission through our annual conference and our collaborative work during the year. We foster transformation, resilience, reinvention, co-creation and celebration as ways to resist forces that destroy, demean and oppress the planet. National Bioneers and Great Lakes Bioneers Detroit invite you to join us in this community of leadership of breakthrough solutions for people and planet.
For the first time since the 'satellite' program began national Bioneers will not be live-streaming the plenary speakers. This is why we scheduled our Detroit conference on the last weekend in October.
We will miss the feeling of 'being with' others on the same weekend. Yet, this change brings other benefits: . The presence of Kenny Ausubel, co-founder of Bioneers who will be with us on Friday and Saturday.
- The flexibility to re-organize our conference schedule so we intersperse local workshops, national plenary speakers with reflection, celebration and networking.
- Three representatives from Detroit have been invited to present at the national conference this year! They are: Gloria Rivera, Lottie Spady and Malik Yakini.
- Lastly, and following your suggestions, we have scheduled follow-up 'reconnecting' half-day sessions beginning in November to assist us to put the vision into practice!
GLBD will continue to focus its energy and resources on the City of Detroit and Southeast Michigan. Our collaborative and networking efforts are animated by our understanding of the connections we all have to each other, our environment, our resources and social justice. This is how we hope to continue our work and help grow resilient communities – turning vision into action.
Our GLBD strategies include:
- Living the reality that "…in the midst of a magnificent diversity of cultures and life forms we are one human family and one Earth community with a common destiny".
- Remembering that the work of transformation is spiritual work.
- Recognizing the vision/gifts of the community for innovative solutions.
- Using Ideas and practices that help us to "connect the dots" within a holistic, systemic, and multi-disciplinary framework.
- Linking individuals and networks in order to foster connection, cross-pollination, and collaboration of people and ideas, all focused on positive change.
- Advocating to restore our damaged and depleted earth and human communities.
- Being an oasis of hope that sparks mass creativity and engagement.
People from all areas and levels of interest in the environment and social justice come together to learn, grow, and be inspired at the conference. This self-organized Bioneers Network Event features: tours, local presenters, and DVDs of eight of the 13 plenary speakers.
Register and learn more: www.glbd.org