Bioneers seeks a communications manager familiar with and inspired by the mission-driven culture and energy of a non-profit environment. The Bioneers Communications Director will be responsible for planning, development and implementation of all of Bioneers communications, and public relations activities, both external and internal. The candidate will oversee development and implementation of support materials and services for the Bioneers Annual Conference and the organization and its program areas in the area of communications and public relations and will bring a fundamental understanding of media (both traditional, social and new-media) in a non-profit context. This position manages the efforts of the communications and public relations team ensuring that production and development of media runs smoothly and on-time, and coordinates at the strategic and tactical levels with the other functions of the Bioneers. This position will be located in the Bioneers San Francisco, CA offices.
Working for Bioneers
Powered by a diverse, passionate, creative and dynamic team of professionals, Bioneers has acted as a fertile hub of social and scientific innovators with practical and visionary solutions for the world’s most pressing environmental and social challenges. A celebration of the genius of nature and human ingenuity, Bioneers connects people with breakthrough solutions and each other. The overarching mission of Bioneers is the advancement of holistic education pertaining to global social, cultural and environmental issues. Bioneers works to build tools, strategies, messages and, ultimately, stronger communities. By encouraging unique perspectives and thoughtful dialogue, Bioneers offers employees a stimulating professional environment and its leadership is committed to offering opportunities for employees to grow. As our programs continue to reach new communities, we continue to look for talented new leaders to help us meet our goals.
The Communications Director position will manage the product and workflow of the communications team and their productions. The position reports to the Executive Director and serves as a member of the management team. Within Bioneers, the position has primary working relationships with the Executive Director, the Chief Operating and Outreach Officer, the senior management team, staff of the Communications team, Bioneers Program Directors and Event Production.
Outside Bioneers, the position coordinates, primarily, with the media and supporters who can help to promote the Bioneers Annual conference and its output, including Bioneers Award-Winning Radio Series, for example, and a growing 25-year archive of digitized media content.
This will be a hands-on, creative, problem-solving position, working to improve the visibility of Bioneers diverse program areas.
Communications and Public Relations
Responsible for managing the creation, implementation and measuring the success of:
- A comprehensive communications and public relations program that will enhance Bioneers image (both the Annual Conference and the Organization) and position within the general public, facilitate internal and external communications; and,
- All Bioneers communications and public relations activities and materials including publications, media relations, and client acquisition.
- Ensures articulation of Bioneers desired image and position, assuring consistent communication of image and position throughout Bioneers, and assuring communication of image and position to all constituencies, both internal and external.
- Responsible for editorial oversight, design, production and distribution of all Bioneers publications.
- Coordinates media interest in Bioneers and ensures regular contact with target media and appropriate response to media requests (especially local, Net-native and national outlets).
- Act as Bioneers representative with the media.
- Coordinate the appearance of all Bioneers print and electronic materials such as letterhead, use of logo, brochures, etc.
- Develop, coordinate and oversee programs, including but not limited to social media, traditional media and local media outlets, technical assistance and resource materials to assist marketing and promoting the Bioneers Annual Conference (including but not limited to the Beaming Bioneers constituency, donors and conference attendees) in the marketing, communications and positioning of their activities.
Planning and budgeting
- Responsible for the achievement of communications/public relations mission, goals and financial objectives. Ensure that evaluation systems are in place related to these goals and objectives and report progress to the Executive Director and Executive Team.
- Develop short- and long-term plans and budgets for the communications public relations program and its activities, monitor progress, assure adherence and evaluate performance.
- Recommend short- and long-term Bioneers goals and objectives to the Executive Director, Chief Operating and Outreach Officer, VP of Finance and Executive Team.
- Develop, implement and monitor systems and procedures necessary to the smooth operation of the communications, and public relations functions.
- Keep informed of developments in the fields of marketing, communications and public relations, not-for-profit management and governance, relevant to Bioneers and use this information to help the Bioneers operate with initiative and innovation.
- Oversee and manage the successful, on-time, high-quality production of media projects produced by the communications team and ensure effective management within the marketing, communications and public relations function.
- Maintain a climate that attracts, retains and motivates top quality personnel, both paid and volunteer.
- Design, support and oversee cross-functional teams throughout Bioneers.
Effectively enable, encourage and empower Bioneers volunteers and staff so they can take action on behalf of Bioneers by:
- Conveying Bioneers values, vision and direction through word-of-mouth and respective and relevant digital and traditional communities;
- Respecting and using the skills, expertise, experience and insights of people;
- Providing direction and resources, removing barriers and helping develop people’s skills; articulating expectations and clarifying roles and relationships;
- Experience overseeing production communications products such as brochures, fund raising collateral and media products.
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of communications and public relations activities.
- Superior editing and writing skills.
- Ability to work with vendors, contractors, management and staff to manage all aspects of production of materials.
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, and personal sales skills that honor the energy and vision of Bioneers.
- Deep experience developing and engaging social media editorial voice across platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube and other nascent and developing social media platforms, communities and cultures.
- Experience developing and managing media budgets, and hiring, training, developing, supervising and appraising personnel.
- Demonstrated successful experience writing press releases, making presentations and negotiating with local, mid-size, national and international media.
- Experience overseeing the design and production of print materials and publications.
- Computer literacy and fluency across multiple social media platforms, word processing, database management, photo editing and image editing software, solutions and strategies and page layout software programs. Knowledge of HTML and fundamental understanding of website management a plus.
- Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams.
- Superior oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a time.
- Out-of-town, overnight travel is required.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in communications or public relations with demonstrated success, preferably in the not-for-profit or public sector.
- Bachelors degree in journalism, public relations preferred. Graduate degree in a related field is desirable.
- Experience working with volunteers is desirable.
Bioneers is an innovative nonprofit educational organization that highlights breakthrough solutions for restoring people and planet. Founded in 1990 in Santa Fe, New Mexico by social entrepreneurs Kenny Ausubel and Nina Simons, Bioneers has acted as a fertile hub of social and scientific innovators with practical and visionary solutions for the world’s most pressing environmental and social challenges. A celebration of the genius of nature and human ingenuity, Bioneers connects people with breakthrough solutions and each other. Our acclaimed annual national and local conferences are complemented by extensive media outreach including an award-winning radio series, book series, and role in media projects such as Leonardo DiCaprio’s film The 11th Hour. Our programs further focus on Women’s Leadership, Indigenous Wisdom, Community Resilience Networks, and Leadership Development and Youth.Learn more at www.bioneers.org and www.conference.bioneers.org.
Cover Letter and CV may be pasted into the email body or attached as a PDF or Word Document, ONLY.
Please include an updated CV / resume WITH SALARY HISTORY. (Applications without salary history will not be considered)
Please INCLUDE YOUR LAST NAME + JOB TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE and send to: careers (AT) bioneers (DOT) org
We will contact applicants of interest. Thank you for your time and consideration.
NO AGENCIES or CONSULTANTS or THIRD-PARTY SERVICES or INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS. No phone calls or email to the office or principals, please.